- This event has passed.
2020 CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: 16th Angkor Photo Workshops
Are you an Asian photographer looking to challenge your relationship with your craft while developing your visual storytelling skills?
The Angkor Photo Workshops is an annual tuition-free professional workshop for Asian photographers. The workshop experience aims to nurture each individual’s unique vision and approach to the medium of photography.
We support all forms of storytelling, and our workshops are open to all photographers of Asian nationality, with no age limit.
Through our open call for applications, 30 participants from across Asia will be selected by our tutors to join the intensive workshop in Siem Reap, Cambodia.
We are grateful to have as tutors renowned professional photographers who volunteer their time and expertise to be a part of this educational initiative and experience. Find out who the 2020 Tutors are here.
Participants will rise to the challenge of completing a photo story each during the workshops. You will be guided by your tutor through all the stages – conceptualising the story, refining your personal approach, improving your technique, and the final important step of editing.
Our workshop is a challenging experience. All participants are expected to be motivated, hungry to learn, and prepared for hard work. You will be pushed to their limits physically, mentally and emotionally. We are not a place to compete and win, but rather, a space to support each other and to discover vulnerability and honesty. Find your focus, build your confidence and commit to the rigor that the craft demands.
We believe in diversity and originality, and want to help you develop your own unique photographic style and vision. Our goal is to help students in their practice of the medium with respect to their individual interests and ambitions so as to fulfill their potential to be autonomous creators rather than being consumers of photography.
Application is free and done via our online form. Read our Application Guide and F.A.Q below for more information and details.
Application Opens 22 June 2020
Deadline: 22 July 2020, 6.00PM (Cambodia time GMT+7)
Application results will be announced by August 2020.
WHO CAN APPLY
Our workshop is open to all aspiring photographers of Asian nationality, with no age limit. It is open to students as well as professionals working either full-time or part-time as photographers.
The workshop is conducted in English, and you will need to have your own digital camera and laptop with basic photo editing software.
THINGS YOU’LL NEED
The workshop is conducted in English, and you will need to bring your own digital camera and laptop with basic photo editing software.
Participants have to be in Siem Reap for the full period of 17 – 28 November 2020.
- 17 Nov: All participants to have arrived in Siem Reap.
- 17 – 24 Nov: Conceptualising, producing and editing a photo story under the guidance of your tutor.
- 24 – 28 Nov: Participation in professional activities as part of the Angkor Photo Festival.
- 28 Nov:(Evening) Screening of 16th Angkor Photo Workshop Results.
There is no application fee or tuition-fee. We will provide free accommodation for you from 17 – 28 November 2020 (basic, air-conditioned, shared twin or triple room).
You need to have enough funds to pay for your: visa fees, travel expenses to-and-fro Siem Reap, local travel costs, meals, any other expenses you incur during the workshops.
THINGS TO PREPARE
- Brief Biography:This is a simple resume about yourself. You can include any information which you think is relevant for us, such as your study and work history. Keep it brief. To help you, here are some things you can include:
- Your education history (where, when and what?)
- Your working history (where, when and what?)
- Other activities (Other courses, workshops you have participated in)
- Portfolio of Work: Your portfolio of work should reflect your vision and style as a photographer.
- (Minimum 15 – Maximum 20 photos per portfolio
- Image Size: 2,000 pixels on longer side / 72dpi / JPG / Max 2.5MB
- Filename: All images should include your full name. (Eg: Amy_Tan_001.jpg)