The 2nd Studia Islamika International Conference 2017
August 8 - August 10
Center for the Study of Islam and Society (PPIM) of Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University (UIN) Jakarta will carry out an international conference in August this year. This conference is dedicated to promoting Studia Islamika, an international journal published by the Center. This is the second Studia Islamika conference, and this event is expected to be held regularly in the future. In the coming conference, scholars and students on Southeast Asian Islam are invited to present their papers, research and posters. Relevant themes and topics have been selected to accommodate different research interests of the participants.
The 2nd Studia Islamika International Conference 2017 will be held as a reflection on many different aspects related to Southeast Asia. It is to look at current political trends, religious radicalism, the development of democracy, and global trends. Southeast Asia has experienced tremendous changes since its formation until today. It achieved one of the highest economic developments in the world while faith and ethnicity still play an important role in the political field. This conference will explore these various developments in the context of globalization and democratization. Theories and new research findings on Southeast Asia will be explored and discussed during the conference.
The conference features research addressing the following topics:
- Religious Radicalism: Approaches, Trends and Methods
- Democracy, Citizenship and Identity
- Religious Radicalism and Education
- Globalization and Transnational Movements: Southeast Asian Islam and ISIS
- Contemporary Islamic Economics and Tourism
- Philanthropy and Civil Society
- Women, Society and Representation
- Social Media and the Contestation of the Public Sphere
- Challenges of Urban Life: Food, Culture and Life Style
- The Rise of Islamic Populism? Sectarian Politics in – Contemporary Indonesia