October 31 - November 1
Southeast Asia Calls! If you want to answer in Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Khmer, or Tagalog, we invite you to study Southeast Asian languages at the University of Hawai’i at Mānoa! The Center for Southeast Asian Studies offers academic year and/or summer Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships that include tuition and stipend. Open to U.S. citizen and permanent resident undergraduate and graduate students for study at UH-Mānoa.
Eligibility & Fellowship Information
- FLAS awards are subject to funding by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Applicants must be full-time, classified students at UH-Mānoa (UHM) or in the process of applying to a degree-granting undergraduate or graduate program at UHM at the time of application.
- FLAS recipients must be full-time, classified, degree-seeking. undergraduate or graduate students at UHM at the time of the award.
- East-West Center Degree Fellows are not eligible for academic year FLAS, but are eligible for summer FLAS.
- Fellowships are awarded for one academic year and/or one summer at a time (see below) and recipients may apply again for continued funding for up to two years of the Fellowship.
- Fieldwork/Research: FLAS Fellowships are not a stipend for research or fieldwork. Please check with your academic department for possible fieldwork funding opportunities or see our Scholarships and Upcoming Funding pages. Depending on the time of year, you may be able to apply for the Luce Fellowship for Research and Advanced Language Training.
All questions related to FLAS Fellowships and the application process can be directed to:
Dr. Chizuko Allen, Fellowships Coordinator
Types of FLAS Fellowship
Applicants: Undergraduate & Graduate Students
Current Term: Academic year 2020-21 & Summer 2020
Application period for AY 2020-2021: Thursday, November 1, 2019 to Friday, January 17, 2020 at 5pm HST.
Deadline for AY 2020-2021: Friday, January 17, 2020 at 5pm HST