SG Academies ASEAN Fellowship Programme
November 29 - November 30
The SG Academies ASEAN Fellowship Programme aims to attract bright postgraduate researchers from ASEAN countries to Singapore research institutions for a 2-year long fellowship. The programme, first started in 2020, is administered by three academies in Singapore – the Singapore National Academy of Science (SNAS), together with the Academy of Medicine Singapore (AMS), and the Academy of Engineering Singapore (AES) – and funded by the National Research Foundation (NRF). It involves the participating host institutions, including Singapore universities and research institutions such as A*STAR, and candidates aligning to agreed fields of research (science, medicine, engineering, and computer science).
The review panel will use academic records, essays, letters of recommendation, the application itself, and other appropriate materials as the basis for determining the extent to which candidates meet the eligibility requirements and the positive factors for selection. The quality of the plan of study or research, the bibliography, the appropriateness of the proposed fellowship activities, the choice of host institution, and the potential for career enhancement will also be carefully reviewed. The candidate is expected to contact and seek agreement from his/her prospective host professor.
The candidates may propose any field of research done in Singapore research institutions. Preference will be given to candidates working on infectious diseases. Up to 20 Fellowships will be offered each year.
- SNAS will provide a monthly stipend ranging from S$ 4,000 to 6,500. The exact figure will depend on the experience and performance of the Fellow.
- An additional $ 4,000 will be provided for overseas travel over the 2-year long fellowship period.
- Access to professional development opportunities (events, seminars and training programmes) within the host institution, NRF and the three Singapore academies (SNAS, AMS, AES).
- Opportunities to learn more about Singapore and to foster stronger ties and partnership between ASEAN fellows and Singapore.
- Citizenship: Applicants must be citizens of an ASEAN country (not including Singapore).
- Degree: Applicants must have a PhD Degree from a reputable institution.
- Age limit: Applicants should not be more than 40 years-old at the time of application.
- Language: Applicant must be fluent in written and oral English.
- We encourage diversity and welcome all eligible applicants, regardless of gender, culture, ethnicity, religion or any other demographics.
Documents Required for Application include:
- Research Proposal (no longer than 2 pages) developed in consultation with the host professor(s) / PI(s) at the Singapore University.
- Host professor / PI’s in-principle approval with his/her official email ID.
- Certified copies of diplomas and transcripts.
- Two recommendation letters from referees (e.g. current / past supervisors, collaborators etc.) stating your suitability for this fellowship. The letters should be submitted directly by your referee. Instructions for referees may be found here.
The deadline for applications is 30 November 2021 (Tuesday). The offers are projected to be made by end-December. The ASEAN Fellows should plan to start their fellowship sometime in-between January and March the following year.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “SG Academies ASEAN Fellowship Application – your name”.