- This event has passed.
Storytelling for Social Impact Workshop 2019 Calling for Candidates
June 11 - June 13
Mission Vietnam is seeking candidates for an American Film Showcase (AFS) workshop on storytelling for social impact. In September 2019, the American Film Showcase will host a professional exchange opportunity at the University of South California (USC) School of Cinematic Arts for international storytellers and content creators interested in using media for social impact. The two-week exchange is designed for small teams of content creators and social impact practitioners (individuals working directly with the targeted communities), developing projects in film, TV, radio/podcasts, video games, and other storytelling platforms, with a social impact goal in mind. The primary focus of the workshop will not be on the craft of creating specific content, but on how to use story and character to develop and implement an effective audience engagement campaign.
The USC School of Cinematic Arts and the Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism are the leading research institutions working at the intersection of entertainment content and social impact strategy. USC faculty and visiting professors regularly train non-profits, governmental agencies, and independent storytellers on effective strategies for developing compelling storylines, often across platforms, for tangible social impact. USC faculty will lead this workshop with visiting guest lecturers from across the entertainment industry. Participants should leave the workshop with a clear strategy for their project for meaningful engagement and participation with audience communities across multiple media platforms.
Arrive Los Angeles: September 28, 2019
Rest Day: September 29, 2019
Program Days: September 30 – October 11, 2019
Depart Los Angeles: October 12, 2019
- Teams made up of 2 – 3 individuals each may apply for this program.
- Participants must be proficient in English.
- At least one nominee per team should be female.
- Applicants should fill up the form https://bit.ly/2WyrfqG by June 13, 2019.
- A team of 2-3 individuals made up of 1-2 content creators and one social impact practitioner. Social impact practitioners may be educators, academics, psychologists, policy makers or other experts with extensive knowledge of the designated social issue. If a social impact practitioner does not make sense for a specific project, please explain why.
- Content creators can be writers, directors or producers from fiction or documentary film, animation/graphic novels/comics, TV or digital content, radio/podcast or social media content.
- The team should have a specific project in development (it can be in the early research stages) and a clear impact goal.
- Ideal candidates (content creators) should be mid-career media professionals eager to learn new innovative strategies for impact.
Application deadline: June 13, 2019
Interview: June 18-20, 2019
Deadline for submission to AFS: Mon, July 1, 2019
Shortlist Announced: Fri, July 12, 2019
Skype Interviews: Mon, July 22-Thurs, July 25, 2019
Final Participant Decision: Aug 2, 2019
- Completed Application Form: https://bit.ly/2WyrfqG
- Resume/CV for each group member
- One-page summary of the project in development, including social impact goals.
- Online link/s to previously produced work.
- One-page statement from the group, including its background and what it hopes to gain from the exchange.
After reviewing the submitted materials, AFS will create a short list and then conduct Skype phone conversations with candidates in order to make the final selection.
The U.S. Mission in Vietnam looks forward to receiving nominations for this program. For questions and nomination submissions, contact:
Culture Team, Hanoi Public Affairs Section