Dogma Prize 2021 for Artists
February 26 - April 30
2021 is a special year for the Dogma Prize, marking its move beyond ten years, and thus underlining a long-standing commitment. The theme of Introspection is endemic to self-portraiture, but as 2020 comes to an end, given all the travails of the world, it has a special resonance. Who are we? What are our role, our place, and our responsibility? Deep and hard questions, perhaps with no widely accepted answer, and in turn, perhaps that is because the question is not yet asked with sufficient voice and intensity.
It seems unfair to direct such enquiry at a small group in society – artists. But perhaps it is a role in which art can act as a dominant interlocutor. For the first time in ten years after the founding of the Prize, it expands beyond Vietnam, to include its Indochina neighbours and to recognise ten artists in one unified, equal platform.
For the 2021 edition, the Dogma Prize introduces the concept of “Introspection” – Making self-portraits from visions of one’s mind.
Dogma Prize 2021 “Introspection” is open to all artists, with no limits on age, who have their practice in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, and commitment to these communities, who create artworks in one or more of the following media: drawing, printing, installation, painting, photography, digital art, sculpture, video and mixed media.
Each artist will submit one (01) art work only. The art piece should be produced no longer than two (02) years before the submission date. The submission entry will include the following items:
- Maximum four (04) images showing full view and close-up view, for the case of 2D work, and including side view and back view, in the case of 3D work. The images will be in .jpeg format, at size of minimum 3MB;
- For installation piece, a sketch and/or detailed plan is required;
- A one-page statement to explain the concept and/or context of the work (to be type-written in Microsoft Word document, or PDF);
- Artist’s profile, inclusive of the artist’s full name and/or alias, email address, contact number and website (if any)(to be type-written in Microsoft Word document, or PDF);
- All texts pertaining to the submission must NOT be written directly onto the body of the submitting email.
- Candidates working exclusively in the medium of video are advised to provide a link to a video hosting site such as Vimeo or YouTube or to their own site where the video can be viewed
Artists will submit their artworks in digital format to the email address: email@example.com. All entries must be submitted by 30 April 2021 at midnight.