- This event has passed.
Seeking an experienced and motivated Team Leader to join MRLG
22 June, 2020 - 23 June, 2020
The Mekong Region Land Governance Project is seeking an experienced Team Leader, to be based in the regional office in Vientiane with domestic travel in Laos and to neighbouring countries Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam. The Team Leader is responsible for delivery of the project in accordance with the goals, objectives and outcomes.
The Team Leader works closely with the Deputy Team Leader (DTL), Operations Manager, Regional Thematic Advisers and National Land Governance Facilitators towards fulfillment of the project mandate.
The Team Leader, while responsible for overall delivery of the project, provides direct supervision of project activities in Laos and Vietnam (while the Deputy Team Leader is responsible for activities in Cambodia and Myanmar), thus experience in Laos and Vietnam is preferable.
The Team Leader takes up a thematic focus on Customary Tenure Recognition while also contributing to project activities on Responsible Agricultural Investment for the protection of smallholder farmers secure and equitable access and control over land.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
The Team Leader’s responsibilities are assigned as following:
- Drive the project’s strategic vision, specific goals in consultation with the team and client to ensure effective performance and achievement of all project objectives.
- Collaborate with the field-based operations team and LEI home-office staff on work-planning, activity design, scheduling, budgets, implementation activities and timely milestone delivery.
- Jointly with the Deputy Team Leader prepare annual project strategy and work plans.
- Oversee the development and implementation of strategic work plans and work streams.
- Oversee the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) system.
- Prepare Annual Project Reports and oversee project reports and publications.
- Lead the coordination with related projects and organisations working in CLMV countries and regionally in the Mekong, with specific activity oversight in project matters in Laos and Vietnam.
- Management of the team’s performance and cohesion, adequate resourcing to ensure quality outputs.
- Client liaison and contractual management duties.
- Liaise with the Regional and National Advisory Committees.
- Foster relationships with project government partners, reform stakeholders, project champions and other relevant projects with similar goals and aspirations.
- Develop and manage Risk Management issues.
Technical / Policy Impact
- Work closely with the Regional Thematic Advisers, National Land Governance Facilitators and Operations Manager to manage activities to achieve Project Outcome 1 and the associated outputs and oversee activities to achieve Outcomes 2 (responsibility of DTL) and 3 (further details on request).
- Share lessons and exchange ideas globally on regional land governance-based approaches.
- Carry out governance protocols and appreciation of the political economy to effectively manage and deliver the project within the contextual setting.
- Based upon technical knowledge and experience provide technical and activity implementation guidance to national facilitators, advisers and project consultants.
- Provide pro-active and innovative approaches to the land governance agenda based on best practice analysis and identify activity opportunities to be funded by the project under both thematic areas.
- Contribute to knowledge sharing, advocacy, public awareness, and land policy exchange.
- Mainstream gender across all project activities. Work with the Gender Focal Person to ensure the implementation of the Gender and Social Development Strategy across the project.
General team contribution:
- Promote a harmonious work environment within the team and the LEI and GRET values.
- Work to develop and maintain a cohesive team and a strong esprit de corps across the PIU.
- Supporting the line management of staff.
- Perform other related responsibilities as assigned.
Reporting and Administration Arrangements:
The Team Leader will be responsible for the preparation and delivery of the Annual Workplan and Operational Reports in accordance with the reporting schedule contained in the ProDoc. The Team Leader will also be responsible for reviewing and commenting upon, as necessary, all documentation produced by the project including Theories of Change, Strategic Work Plans, Activity and Budget Plans, progress and evaluation reports, knowledge management documentation.
Qualifications and Experience:
- 12+ years’ experience on land and/or natural resource governance international projects.
- 5+ years’ experience in a project team leader or chief of party role on complex multi-year, large scale project.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Demonstrated experience working in multi-stakeholder environments with government, academia, the private sector and non-government organisations.
- An excellent knowledge of both the subject matter and issues related to Customary Tenure Recognition and Responsible Agricultural Investment (preferably in the Mekong region) as well as work experience in relation to these issues is required.
- Exemplary reporting, communications and relationship management experience.
- Fluency in English is required.
The Mekong Region Land Governance (MRLG) Project funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC), with support from the Governments of Germany and Luxembourg, is jointly implemented by Land Equity International (LEI) and GRET – Professionals for Fair Development. The overarching goal of the MRLG project is to ensure that smallholder farmers in Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Viet Nam (CLMV countries), especially those belonging to ethnic minorities, have secure and equitable access to and control over agricultural land, forest and fisheries.
The Project aims to improve land governance policy and practice by engaging strategically at a sub-national, national and regional level, working through alliances of reform actors. Support shall be directed using evidence-based options for efficient and effective policy and practice change utilising the most appropriate dialogue channels across various influential stakeholder groups. MRLG Phase II devotes its time, efforts and resources to three outcomes, such that: (1) Reform Actors and networks engage strategically in improving policy and practice, regionally and nationally, (2) Evidence-based options for improved policy and practice are available, regionally and nationally and (3) Channels for policy dialogue are identified or established, and utilised, regionally and nationally.
|Contractor: Land Equity International (LEI) www.landequity.com.au
Start date: 14 September 2020
Contract duration: minimum 2 years
Location: The position is based at the MRLG Regional Office, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter that demonstrates they meet the responsibilities and qualification requirements, a CV and at least 2 referees contact details. Submit your application with attention to Nicole Nicholson, email@example.com no later than the 23rd June 2020.